Relative Petitions PDF Print E-mail
Written by Administrator   
Friday, 25 January 2008
Caroline Labib Doss, located in Jersey City, New Jersey, handles relative petitions for individuals in Jersey City, Bayonne, Union City and West New York and in Hudson County.  She also represents clients throughout the United States who need an Arabic speaking immigration attorney.

Our firm handles all matters involving the sponsorship of relatives in the United States as well as filing relative petitions on their behalf. Under federal law, citizens and legal permanent residents can sponsor (or "petition" on behalf of) their family members for immigration visas or "green cards." Sponsorship based on certain family relationships avoids limitations on the number of visas released each year under other categories, but the more remote a family link, the fewer visas that are available annually.

Immediate relatives (spouses and children under 21) experience the shortest waiting period. Other relatives are subject to waiting periods because only a set number of visas are allowed for those categories each year -- and there are always more visa applications than actual visas.  When a family-based visa application is approved by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (formerly the Immigration and Naturalization Service, or INS), a U.S. consular officer will issue the visa and the family member can travel to the United States.

Who May File and Who May Be Sponsored?

According to some U.S. immigration officials, not all family relationships are created equal. Some relationships receive higher priority than others, and some cannot form the basis for an application in the first place.

If you are a U.S. citizen, you can petition on behalf of

  • Your spouse, or your child under 21 years old.
  • Your parent (if you are at least 21 years old).
  • Your unmarried child over 21 years old, and their children.
  • Your married child of any age, and their children.
  • Your sibling and his or her spouses and children (if you are at least 21 years old).

If you are a U.S. permanent resident, you can petition on behalf of:

  • Your spouse, or your child under 21 years old.
  • Your unmarried child over 21 years old.

Temporary Fiancé (e) Visas
Temporary fiancée visas are also available for foreign nationals intending to marry an American.  Under this type of visa, the foreign national must apply for the visa and receive permission to travel to the U.S. for purposes of getting married. Once married, the foreign national must apply for permanent residence separate from the initial visa application.

K-3 and K-4 Non-Immigrant Visas

Alternatively, the Legal Immigration Family Equity Act and its amendments established in 2000 allows the spouse and/or child of a U.S. citizen to be admitted to the United States and complete processing for permanent residence while in the United States.  The purpose of this new visa category is to reunite families that may be subject to a long period of separation during the processing of their immigrant visas overseas.

At the law firm of Caroline Labib Doss, we have years of experience handling relative petitions for clients with families needing to immigrate to the U.S.. If you have questions or concerns regarding sponsoring relative or relative petitions, contact us  today for a consultation.

Last Updated ( Friday, 25 January 2008 )
< Prev
Copyright © 2005-2008 The Law Office of Doss & Associates, PC
Joomla Templates by JoomlaShack Joomla Templates by Compass Design